References for fretted strings

Music for fretted string instruments is normally notated on a single staff, either in traditional music notation or in tablature. Sometimes the two types are combined, and it is especially common in popular music to use chord diagrams above a staff of traditional notation. The guitar and the banjo are transposing instruments, sounding an octave lower than written. Scores for these instruments should use the "treble_8" clef (or \transposition c to get correct MIDI output). Some other elements pertinent to fretted string instruments are covered elsewhere:

See also

Notation Reference: Fingering instructions, Ties, Collision resolution, Instrument names, Writing music in parallel, Arpeggio, List of articulations, Clef, Instrument transpositions.

LilyPond Notation Reference v2.25.17 (development-branch).