LilyPond on Cygwin
- Download setup.exe by shift-clicking here,
- For NT, 2000 and XP: become administrator,
- Keep clicking "Next" until...
- You get to the Package View dialogue. Select LilyPond, found in the Publishing section.
- LilyPond will now be installed, along with supporting programs. The download is 66 MB, and the installation requires 260 MB of free disk space.
If you are not 100% sure what setup.exe asks, do not change the
defaults. Do not change the default install
do not change the default text type (type UNIX must
- Shift-click here to download a test.
- Save it on your desktop as test.ly (make sure it is not called test.ly.TXT).
- Double-click the file.
Yay, it works!
Good! Go onto Using LilyPond.
Umm, I'm not sure what to do. Help me!
For questions and support, send mail to email@example.com
Darn, it doesn't work
Try running setup.exe again; this fixes 90% of the problems that are reported to us. Make sure that it has installed the right version of LilyPond; if you click twice on the selected package, you will get an older version of LilyPond.
If it still doesn't work, please send a bugreport. There is a file test.log in the same folder with test.ly. Send this file to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your problem.
On Windows 95, 98 and ME there are problems with the Cygwin Python package, which may hamper the unencumbered operation of LilyPond (see python fails testsuite). LilyPond itself should be usable, but clicking on a .ly file to produce a PDF, lilypond-book, and midi2ly may not work. Unfortunately, these problems are outside control of the LilyPond development team. Windows NT, 2000 and XP are not affected.
But I have no test.log
By brute force:
This also removes your Cygwin
/home/directory, so copy important files to somewhere else first.
- Click Next.
- Select Install from Local Directory.
- Click next until you reach Select packages to install.
- Click View.
- For every package you wish to uninstall,, click on the recycle icon until it says Uninstall.
- Click Next.