LilyPond in the pressWhat we wrote:
- Han-Wen Nienhuys and Jan Nieuwenhuizen, LilyPond, a system for automated music engraving. Proceedings of the XIV Colloquium on Musical Informatics (XIV CIM 2003), Firenze, Italy, May 2003. (PDF 95k)
- Han-Wen Nienhuys, LilyPond, Automated music formatting and the Art of Shipping. Forum Internacional Software Livre 2006 (FISL7.0) (PDF 1095k)
- Erik Sandberg, Separating input language and formatter in GNU Lilypond. Master's Thesis, Uppsala University, Department of Information Technology March 2006. (PDF 750k )
- February 2008
- In articles on his personal site, Andrew Hawryluk compares Finale and LilyPond in general terms, and evaluates in detail engraving capabilities of both pieces of software. The second article is an instructive analysis of Rachmaninoff's Piano Prelude 6 engraving, including comparisons with a reference hand-engraved edition.
- December 2005
Linux Journal publishes an article on
Stunning Schenker Graphs with GNU LilyPond. It is a
in-depth but hands-on feature article with crisp LilyPond
Author Kris Shaffer remarks “GNU Lilypond generates beautiful graphics that make commercial alternatives seem second-rate.”
This article is now available on-line.
- August 20, 2005
- The Belgian newspaper De Standaard investigates what drives Free Software authors in an article titled Delen van KENNIS zonder WINSTBEJAG (Non-profit sharing of knowlegde) in its `DS2 bijlage'. LilyPond is used as an example and the article is interspersed with quotes from an `email interview' with Jan Nieuwenhuizen. This marks LilyPond's first appearance in mainstream printed press.
- June 2005
- A French article on the LilyPond 2.6 release appeared on linuxfr.org.
- October 2004
- The editors of Computer!Totaal, a Dutch computer magazine, describe LilyPond in the October 2004 issue as: “Wonderful free (open source) software [..] The sheet music produced by LilyPond is exceptionally pretty [..] a very powerful system that can do almost anything”
- July, August 2004
- Dave Phillips wrote an introductory article for Linux Journal At the sounding edge: LilyPond, parts one and two.
- March 2004
- Chris Cannam interviewed Han-Wen Nienhuys and Jan Nieuwenhuizen on linuxmusician.com. This interview was also reviewed in a slashdot story.
- February 2004
- Jazz singer Gail Selkirk writes about Diving into LilyPond.